On the occasion of the 150 years since the beginning of the construction of the Franciscan Monastery in Humac, the scientific symposium shall be held in Humac from October 20-21, 2017 in the monastery of St. Anthony of Padua at the address: Trg Sv. Ante 1 Humac – Ljubuški.
After the monastery in Siroki Brijeg was built, the Franciscans felt that their community might need another monastery and they decided to build another one, in Humac, close to Ljubuski. The foundation stone was built by the apostolic vicar Fr. Anđeo Kraljević, OFM on April 4,1867. The construction of the monastery lasted for about ten years and it was led by Fr. Nikola Šimović.
Decree of the General of the Order recognised the new monastery in 1876, and the Noviciate of the Herzegovina Franciscan Custody was placed there too. Their governing body decided to build the Seminary for education of young Franciscans.
While the Franciscans were building the monastery, they also wanted it to be not just spiritual, but religious and educational centre for all illiterate people there.
The monastery has newly built library with more than 20.000 books, while the first museum collection in Bosnia and Herzegovina was opened in this monastery on March 25, 1884.
Franciscan monastery in Humac is the oldest museum collection in Bosnia and Herzegovina at the same time.