During the year 2008, Fr. Juan-Carlos LISA spent ten months in Medjugorje. Shortly before going back to Argentina, he gave his testimony for Radio MIR Medjugorje and for Glasnik mira.
Blessed Aloysius Cardinal Stepinac (1898 - 1960) was the Archbishop of Zagreb from 1937 to 1960. In 1946, he was sentenced to 16 years in prison by a communist court. After five years of detention in Lepoglava prison, he was confined to his home parish of Krašić where he died on February 10, 1960. He was appointed a Cardinal in 1952 by Pope Pius XII. In 1998, Pope John Paul II declared him a martyr and beatified him. Cardinal Stepinac’ grave in the Cathedral of Zagreb has always been a place of pilgrimage and of prayer.
Holy Communions distributed: 41.600
Concelebrating priests: 847 (27/day)
The seventh anniversary of the death of Dr. Fr. Leonard Oreč, former parish priest of Medjugorje and founder of the “Medjugorje-Mir” religious-humanitarian organization, was commemorated on Wednesday the 21st of January, 2009. Holy Mass was celebrated for him in the parish church. The main celebrant was Fr. Ivan Landeka, another former parish priest of Medjugorje, in concelebration with the current parish priest Fr. Petar Vlašić, and other Franciscans currently serving in Medjugorje.
On April 25, 2009, will take place in Medjugorje a pilgrimage of bikers organised by the Christian Association KUP – KARMEL. Robert Rukavina imagines this pilgrimage as an event during which many bikers would discover new paths and visit a place where Our Lady is calling us to peace, a place that many wanted already to visit, but never did so. In Medjugorje will be celebrated Holy Mass for all departed bikers.
You can find more about it on the web site www.kup-karmel.com latest at the beginning of April.
For New Year 2009, was finished the illumination of the paths and of the bronzes representing the Glorious mysteries of the Rosary.
The community Hosanna is a branch of the community Merciful Father from Medjugorje. The house that is situated in Stari Žednik, a little town 15 kilometers from Subotica, in Serbia, is one of the three houses, which give shelter to men who suffer under addiction. Although the capacity of the house is limited to 12 persons, the community is accommodating 16 men, and needs are much greater. Prayer and work are an integral part of life in the community, just as in Medjugorje. Leaders of the community are those who are close to healing.
About 10.000 mostly younger people from all over the world gathered together this year in Medjugorje for the New Year's Eve in prayer.
Before the vigil, the Cenacolo Community performed the Living Manger in front of the church. In spite of a very cold weather, several thousands of pilgrims were watching it. (photos)
Holy Communions distributed: 71.600
Concelebrating priests: 1.486 (47/day)
Holy Communions distributed 1.357.100
Concelebrating priests - total: 31.724 (evening Holy Mass: 12.375)
Largest number of languages in which the Gospel was read during the Evening Mass: 16
In the time of Christmas, numerous faithful from the village and from the neighbourhood, as well as from distant parts of the world – even from Korea, Hong Kong and Macao - gathered together in Medjugorje. (photos)
For Christmas 2008, was finished the illumination of the paths and of the bronzes representing the Joyful and the Sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary. Until now, only the Joyful mysteries and the path towards Our Lady’s Statue were illuminated, but since the Sorrowful mysteries also are illuminated, it looks from far as if on the Hill there was a huge Rosary made of lights.
At the last daily apparition to Jakov Colo on September 12th, 1998, Our Lady told him that henceforth he would have one apparition a year, every December 25th, on Christmas Day. This is also how it was this year. The apparition began at 9:48 am and lasted 6 minutes.
The Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina decided on October 23, 2008, that foreigners - citizens of the following countries - do not need a visa for a stay of maximum 90 days in Bosnia and Herzegovina:
Mother’s Village is an institution for education and care for children and youth, and it exists since 1993. in Bijakovići, parish Medjugorje. Its founder was Fr. Slavko Barbarić. The present director of Mother’s Village is Fr. Svetozar Kraljević. We spoke with him about Christmas in Mother’s Village and about the past year.